Matches 101 to 150 of 188
# | Notes | Linked to |
---|---|---|
101 | JOSHUA PECK HARDY was born on 24th July 1865 in Westbury and married Elizabeth Mary Ann Wadley Preece in Longford on 21st April 1895. They had three children, Dorothy Evelyn, Mervyn Joshua and Cyril Joshua. | Hardy, Joshua Peck (I272216492797)
|
102 | Lawn 5, Niche Wall, Site W6, Position 0109. | Source (S900294098)
|
103 | Lawn 5, Niche Wall, Site W6, Postion 0109 | Source (S900294104)
|
104 | Lilian Amy May Nyeman died at Macarthur but was sent to the Ballarat Crematorium - so her death certificate states, however her ashes are next to her husband Joseph Nyeman ashes at the Fawkner Cemetery - location RUGA***963 which translates to the Rose Urn Garden A, her ashes are to the east of the bricked pond. Her date of burial was 10 December 1968. Her death was certified by Dr Macfarlane. She was 78 years of age. | Dutton, Lilian Amy May (I272216494200)
|
105 | Little is known of MARTIN HARDY prior to his marriage to Mary Ann Peck on 28th October 1854. We do know, however, that he came to Tasmania sometime between 1849 and 1852 on the "Australasia" as a free settler, and possibly as crew. Martin Hardys occupation recorded on his marriage certificate is Sailor and a Martin Hardy, aged 23, is recorded as being a seaman on the TAMAR in September 1854 on a voyage from Adelaide to Launceston via Sydney & Portland. Coincidently, the Tamar, a government owned brig, was built at Macquarie Harbour in 1828 during the time when both Thomas and William Peck would have been imprisoned there. It is possible that Martin came to Australia from Yorkshire, England, as he is remembered by family members as being referred to by his nickname of Yorky. Mary Ann and Martin Hardy were farming on land owned by Sir Richard Dry at Quamby near the present day Whitemore in the Westbury district when their first child Martin was born on 20th June 1855. Sir Richard Drys father, Richard Snr was born in 1771 near Wexford, Ireland. He was the son of a gentleman farmer and became a wollen draper. A Protestant, he was convicted in Dublin in September 1797 on the political charge of being a united Irishman and sentenced to transportation to New South Wales for life. He arrived at Port Jackson on 11 January 1800 aboard the Minerva. He was later transferred to Norfolk Island, then returned to Port Jackson in 1805. From there he went to Port Dalrymple and being well educated, Governor Paterson appointed him to the position of storekeeper to the Northern settlements in 1807. He married Ann Maughan, a free woman of Irish parentage, whom he had met in Sydney. Ann was the daughter of a Sydney merchant. On 11 April, 1809 Richard Dry received a free pardon. In addition to the land that Richard already owned, Governor Macquarie granted him 500 acres in 1811 and also supplied rations and three convict servants for twelve months. The grant, part of Quamby's Plains, near Westbury, was called Belle Vue and later became Quamby. By 1827 Richard owned about 12,000 acres, farming cattle and sheep. Richard was a respected citizen of Launceston. In 1822 he became assistant secretary to the Port Dalrymple branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society. In 1828 he was one of the founders of the Cornwall Bank and in 1832 of the Tamar Steam Navigation Co. Richard and Ann had five daughters and two sons. The eldest Harriett, born in 1811, married Dr. Thomas Landale and lived at Elphin. Eliza married Dr. James Richardson and their only daughter, Ellen Richardson, was later adopted by Sir Richard Dry. In 1814 Maria was born, but died at the age of 18. Ellen born in 1823, married Major Rodham Cath Davison Horne. Jane was born in October 1829, but died the same year. Of his two sons, Richard (born 15/6/1815) became a distinguished politician and William (born 1820) was the first Tasmanian born to receive holy orders. Richard Dry senior lived from 1830 until his death in 1843 at his farm, Elphin, near Launceston. Richard junior was born in 1815 at Elphin Farm near Launceston. He was educated at Kirklands, the boys school conducted by Rev. John Mackersey at Campbell Town. Richard was "a good six feet tall, well built with wavy, chestnut hair and blue eyes". At 21 he made a voyage to Mauritius and British Indian ports, and on his return devoted himself to farming Quamby which had been left to him by his father in 1843. He was placed on the Commission of the Peace in 1837 by Sir John Franklin, who was impressed with Richard's personality and steady character. On 8 February 1844, Lieut-Governor Eardley-Wilmot nominated him a non-official member of the Legislative Council. On 27 April 1853 Richard married Clara, fifth daughter of George Meredith of Cambria. George Meredith had arrived in Hobart on 13 March 1821, with his wife, two young sons, and three daughters, the children of his first wife, and a young cousin, John Meredith, on the ship Emerald. Richard and Clara had no children, but adopted the daughter of Richard's sister, Eliza. They lived at Quamby until 1856 where their hospitality made the colonial period house a notable centre. A fall from his horse in 1854 seriously affected his health, and forced his retirement. Richard and Clara then went for an extended visit to England and Europe. While abroad he was knighted by Queen Victoria, the first Tasmanian-born citizen to be so honoured, and one of the first Australians. In 1866 Richard, although still in poor health, was persuaded to become Premier. Towards the middle of 1869 his health deteriorated and he died on 1 August 1869 at his Hobart house. He was a devout member of the Church of England and at his own request was buried at St Mary's, Hagley, Tasmania, which he had built and endowed. Martin and Mary Ann remained in the Westbury region living what appeared to be a normal family life for the next five years, during which time three more children were born, Mary Ann on 6th October 1856, Margaret Ellen on 25th June 1858 and Jeremiah Thomas on 6th December 1859. It was around this time that Martin Hardy met a man who would be a major influence on his life and who probably led indirectly to his death. The man was James Wynn. James Wynn was born at Market Drayton, Shropsire in around 1818 to parents William and Betty Wynne. Also in the family were brothers John, Thomas, Robert, Richard and Edward, and sisters Anne and Ellen. On 16th October 1843 at the Shrewsbury Quarter Sessions Court in the county of Shropshire, Wynn, a farm labourer, was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia for stealing a shirt and some ducks, and with assault with intent at rape. Wynns convict papers recorded that at the time of his trial he was married to wife Mary and had 2 children. Arriving in Hobart on the Barossa on 6th September 1844, Wynn was described as 58½, with ruddy complexion, oval head, dark brown hair & whiskers, and hazel eyes. He was noted as having several tattoos including a mermaid, spade, diamond and anchor on his left arm below the elbow, a woman with flowers, an anchor on his right arm below the elbow, and two birds on his breast. On arriving in Tasmania James Wynn was assigned for 15 months on a chain gang at Browns River. On 18th November 1845 Wynn was reprimanded for misconduct for asking a man for tobacco. On 16th December 1845 he was released from the chain gang and over the course of the next few years was assigned as a convict labourer to a number of different farmers around the Westbury district of Tasmania. Much of Wynns time as a convict labourer in the following years was spent on the wrong side of the law. He was repeatedly in trouble for disobedience of orders, absence without leave, neglect of duty and had also faced further assault charges. On 26th December 1845 he was assigned to a Mr Franks of Fingal for 1 month. In January 1846, whilst assigned to a Mr Grant, also of Fingal, he was given 4 days solitary confinement for being drunk and later in April was sentenced to 3 months with hard labor for disobedience of orders. In February 1847 shortly after being assigned to Mr Peter Vallack of The Oaks, Westbury, Wynn was given seven days solitary confinement for disobedience of orders. Just 4 weeks later he was again in trouble, still while under assignment to Peter Vallack, for being absent without leave, neglect of duty and disobedience of orders, and received as punishment 14 days hard labour. In October 1848, James Wynn was granted a ticket of leave but in August 1849 was again in trouble with the law, being fined for unlawfully assaulting and beating Mr John Pollard of Longford On 3rd October 1850 at the Oatlands Supreme Court, Wynn was tried for stealing 9 pigs valued at £15, the property of James Falconer and Ronald Gunn. He was found guilty and given 2 years imprisonment. His ticket of leave was revoked and Wynn was ordered to be sent to Cascades. Located at Koonya, approx 95km from Hobart and 15km from Port Arthur, Cascades was established as a convict outstation in 1841 and by 1846 there were nearly 400 convicts working in the area. On 18th April 1852, Wynn was released on probation, but it wasnt long before he was in trouble again, however. On 14th July 1852 whilst assigned to a Mr Cahill of Oatlands, he received three months hard labour for disobedience of orders and using threatening language to his master. On 22nd November 1852 at Bethune he was reprimanded for drinking at a public house. In August 1854 he was granted a further ticket of leave but just 4 months later in Launceston, James Wynn was in further trouble for breach of the master and servants act in assaulting his master a Mr C Stacey of Riverside, and was committed to a further 3 months solitary. Shortly after he was again in trouble in Launceston for using abusive language and absence from his residence and received another 3 months hard labour. It was also recommended that he not be allowed to reside in the districts of Longford or Launceston. Perhaps it was this recommendation which helped James Wynn to seemingly stay out of trouble for the next few years, however, he later returned to the Westbury district where at some stage he met Martin Hardy. On 2nd October 1860, when Mary Ann Hardy was pregnant with her and Martins fifth child, Thomas Robert (born 4th April 1861), Martin Hardy and James Wynn stole 28 bushels of wheat valued £10 and 8 bags of wheat value 8s from Peter Vallack, to whom Wynn was assigned as a convict labourer in Westbury several years earlier. The two were tried in Launceston on 21st December 1860 and on being found guilty were convicted to 2 years imprisonment with hard labour at the penal settlement at Port Arthur. Located on the Tasman Peninsula in Tasmania's far south-east, Port Arthur is named after the Governor who established it, Governor Arthur, and began operating in 1830 as a timber station. In 1833 it became a prison settlement for male convicts, housing both those who were transported from overseas and those free settlers who were colonially convicted. Port Arthur quickly established a reputation as being 'a hell-on-earth'. Eaglehawk Neck is the small isthmus between the Tasman Peninsula and the nearby Forestier Peninsula. In the days of the penal colony, dogs were tethered in a tight line across the neck to prevent escapes. The line was continually patrolled and guard posts were established in the nearby hills. No prisoner ever broke through this barrier although some did swim or sail to freedom. During the 1840s, with its captive resource of convict labour, Port Arthur became a near self sufficient secondary punishment prison settlement, producing ships, sawn timber, clothing, boots and shoes, bricks, furniture, vegetables and other goods. This productivity waned in the 1850s and 1860s following the cessation of Britain's convict transportation system and the subsequent lack of newly arrived young transportees. The prison closed in 1877 and many of the settlement's main features, including the Penitentiary and the Church, were gutted by fire during the next two decades. In Port Arthur Bay stands the Island of the Dead with its 1100 convict, free settler, prison staff and military graves. After their trial Wynn and Hardy were detained in the prisoners barracks in Launceston until they departed for Port Arthur on 14th January 1861, arriving at the penal settlement on 16th Jan 1861. Shortly after, on 27th Feb 1861, both James Wynn and Martin Hardy absconded from their chain gang for a period of 7 days. Wynn, for his trouble received 21 days in solitary confinement and Hardy 14 days. They were both to later receive additional punishment in the Separate Prison at Port Arthur. The Separate Prison of Port Arthur was modelled on the experimental Pentonville Prison in London, and changed the predominant disciplinary mechanism from one based upon harsh physical punishment to one based on a notion of mind control. It operated at Port Arthur from the 1850s until the penal settlement closed. The Separate Prison was established as a harsh punishment designed to penetrate the minds of even the hardest of criminals, instilling regret for the crimes they had committed and a determination to reform. Ninety three rules governed the inmates of the Separate Prison and the most rigidly enforced was that of silence. The system made this silence the predominant rule with matting on the prison floors and felt slippers were worn over the boots of both inmates and staff, to maintain quiet. When outside their cells prisoners were required to wear caps with a cloth face piece to eliminate contact with their fellow inmates. Time outside the cells was restricted to 1 hour per day in single exercise yards, and visits to the chapel on Sundays. In chapel they were allowed to sing and worship. Convicts identity was further removed by their name never being used that being replaced by a number corresponding to their cell. Their daily lives were regulated by bells rather than the spoken word. Infringing the rules of the Separate Prison generally earned the transgressor time in the "Dark" or "Dumb" cell. This tiny cell, with metre thick sandstone walls and multiple solid wooden doors in its entry passage, was sound proof and completely black. Although prisoners could be sentenced to 30 days in the Dark cell it was seldom used for such periods as 48 hours was normally sufficient to calm the most refractory of men. Around 30th July 1862, Martin Hardy left Port Arthur for the prisoners barracks at Launceston and on 2nd August 1862 was released from detention and given his freedom to return to his wife Mary Ann and their children at their home at Quamby. Wynn however was to remain at Port Arthur for a further three months before being released. In July 1863, eleven months after Martins release from prison Martin and Mary Anns sixth child Charles was born. After seventh child Joshua's birth in 1865, Mary Ann and Martin Hardy moved to the North East and settled at Scottsdale. Their property consisted of 50 acres on the North East side of Ringarooma Road, not far from the corner of the road to Launceston. Originally it extended from the road back to a creek at the rear, but in later years was subdivided and parts of it sold. The precise circumstances of Mary Ann & Martins move to Scottsdale are not known. Perhaps it was to make a clean break from the Westbury area and help put behind them Martins association with James Wynn and his subsequent imprisonment at Port Arthur. Whatever the reason, Martins prison sentence and particularly the time he spent in the Separate Prison, where the predominant disciplinary mechanism was one of mind control, quite obviously affected Martins mental health. Whether Martin Hardy was a heavy drinker before his imprisonment we will never know, but we can quite confidently assume he was after his release, as The Cornwall Chronicle reported in 186? that Martin had fallen into the fire one evening in a fit of delirium tremens, requiring medical attention. Unfortunately in 1868 when Mary Ann Hardy was pregnant with their eighth child, further tragedy was to unfold for the Hardys when, on 7th January, in another fit of delirium tremens, Martin Hardy committed suicide. The "Cornwall Chronicle" on Saturday 11th January 1868 reported his death as follows: SUICIDE AT SCOTTSDALE - A man named Martin Hardy, a small farmer at Scottsdale, committed suicide Wednesday last, by hanging himself on a tree in the bush. He had previously attempted, while labouring under "delirium tremens", to stab himself with a knife, but was prevented by his wife and others, who took the knife from him and quieted him for a time. He afterwards rushed away in great terror to the bush, and when found hanging he was quite dead. An inquest was held on his remains before Alfred William Brewer, Esq., of Bowwood, Bridport, Coroner, yesterday, and the verdict must, from the nature of the evidence, that the deceased hanged himself while labouring under a fit of temporary insanity. The coroners finding is transcribed below: An inquisition indented taken for our sovereign lady the Queen, at the house of Mary Ann Hardy at Scottsdale, in the county of Dorset within the island of Tasmania, this ninth day of January 1868 in the thirty first year of the reign of our sovereign Lady Victoria, by the grace of god of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen defender of the faith, before me Alfred William Brewer Esquire, one of the coroners of our said Lady the Queen for the said Island and it's dependencies, on view of the body of Martin Hardy then and there lying dead, upon the oaths of Thomas Diprose (Foreman) Joseph Heazlewood, Thomas Heazlewood, John Cunningham, Alex Farquhar, Thomas Tucker, Benjamin Hewitt, good and lawful men of the said Island and duly chosen and who, being then and there duly sworn and charged to enquire for our said Lady the Queen when where how and after what matter the said Martin Hardy came to his death, do upon their oath say that the said Martin Hardy, not being of sound mind, memory and understanding, but lunatic and distracted, on the 7th day of January in the year aforesaid, one end of a certain piece of cord unto the limb of a certain tree growing in Scottsdale did fasten, the other end thereof about his own neck did fit tie and fasten and therewith then did hang suffocate and strangle himself, of which said hanging suffocation and strangling, he the said Martin Hardy then eventually died, and so the jurors aforesaid, upon their oath aforesaid, do say that the said Martin Hardy, not being of sound mind, memory and understanding, but lunatic and distracted in the manner and by the means aforesaid, did kill himself. Martin and Mary Anns eighth child Rosetta Charlotte Elizabeth was born at Scottsdale on 28th May 1868 and on 7th February 1869 was baptised at the Scottsdale home of Thomas Beswick. On the same day as Rosetta's baptism, Mary Ann Hardy married David Jones. It is unclear of the extent to which David Jones played a part in Mary Anns life, however, it could have been minimal, as Mary Ann was later known as Mary Hardy although her death on 10th December 1899 is registered as Jones. Martin and Mary Ann Hardy are buried together at the Ellesmere Cemetery at Scottsdale. For some 5 years after his release from Port Arthur in 1862, James Wynn appears to have stayed out of the trouble which seemed to follow him, although was later to be tried, but acquitted, in Launceston in 1867 for sheep stealing. In September 1870 James Wynn was charged with breaking and entering the house of William Holyoake of Deloraine, a licensed hawker, and stealing various clothes and other articles valued at £15. He appeared in court on 28th March 1871 and was sentenced to a further 5 years at Port Arthur. It was during this period of imprisonment that the above photograph was taken. It was one of 78 identification photographs of 70 Port Arthur convicts taken by Thomas J Nevins shortly before the settlement was closed. The original photo is annotated on its reverse with Wynns name, the ship he was transported on, and the words 'Taken at Port Arthur 1874' Wynn was released from his second term Port Arthur in March 1875, 2 years before the penal settlements eventual closure in 1877. James Wynns freedom was short lived, however, and it wasnt long before he was back in prison, this time on Hobart, for a further eight year term after being tried in Launceston on 19th September 1876 on a charge of stealing pigs from James Barr of Hagley. He was also charged with a second count of having been convicted before of a felony. The judge, in sentencing, ruled that as this was Wynns second offence for stealing pigs and that he had a long record of petty crime that there was no reason not to grant the maximum penalty of eight years with hard labour. Nothing more is known of James Wynn after his discharge from prison on 6th March 1883. | Hardy, Martin (I272216492790)
|
106 | Lived in Sydney. | Walker, Florence Ellen (I272216493896)
|
107 | MARGARET ELLEN HARDY, Martin and Mary Ann's third child (born 25 June 1858 at Oaks) married William Anderson McBean of Scottsdale on 15th January 1882. They had 4 children, William Leslie, Mary Ethel, John Mervyn and Beulah May. Margaret died on 24th July 1928 and is buried at Ellesmere General Cemetery at Scottsdale. | Hardy, Margaret Ellen (I272216492794)
|
108 | MARTIN HARDY JNR, the eldest child of Mary Ann and Martin Hardy, was born at Quamby on 20th June 1855. Not a great deal is known of him in the time leading up to his marriage to Ellen Jane Bush in 1876, however one can guess that his childhood would have been less than ideal. He would have been just 5 years old when his father, Martin, was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for stealing, and 13 years old when his father committed suicide. One would imagine that through his teenage years he would most likely have operated the small farm his father had developed in Scottsdale. ELLEN JANE BUSH was born 1859 in Westbury, second child of William Bush and Anne Spencer. Ellen had 2 sisters, one whose name cannot be found born at Launceston in 1856 and Mary Jane born at Westbury in 1862. Martin & Ellen farmed in the Ringarooma district in the North East of Tasmania and together had 8 children: William Martin Charles 1877 Ada Mary Ann 1878 Albert Ernest Richard 1880 Fanny 1882 Ethel Rosetta 1883 Victoria Beatrice 1887 Horace Olly 1890 Martin James 1894 Some time after 1900, Martin and Ellen Hardy separated and Martin married a Mary Ann, surname unknown, born 1873 in Chudleigh. She died in 1917. The death notice in The Mercury on Friday 1st September read: HARDY On August 31, 1916 at her residence Nubeena. Mary, the dearly beloved wife of Martin Hardy aged 43 years. Friends are respectfully invited to attend her funeral, which will take place at Nubeena Cemetery on Friday Afternoon this day 2.30 Less than 6 months later, on 29th March 1917 at 17 Lansdowne Crescent, Hobart, Martin Hardy, at the age of 62, married 30 year old Agnes Louisa Jane Challenger, daughter of William Challenger and Ellen Wright. She was born 28 February 1887 in Port Arthur Tasmania. Together they had 2 children, Mervyn Ray born 1917 and Pearl Everlin born 1919 joining Frances and Charlie, Agnes children from a previous relationship. Martin and Agnes settled in a house Martin built on top of a large tree stump on the side of a steep slope in Nubeena. He is remembered as regularly fishing for salmon at nearby White Beach and was apparently a handy wood carver, as his daughter in law Mary Hardy (nee Bentley) recalls him carving out a cricket bat for his grandchildren to use on their regular visits to him. Shortly before his death one of those grandchildren, Thomas Bartley, son of Ada Mary Ann Hardy, related how he used to visit his grandfather with his mother, travelling by train to Hobart from Ulverstone, then catching the apple boat "Remeere", to Premaydena where Martin would pick them up in a horse and cart and bring them to Nubeena. Martin Hardy worked as a Mill Hand and doing some minor farming until the day he died on 22 July 1927 in Nubeena. His will read: THIS IS THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of me MARTIN HARDY Of Nubeena Labourer AFTER Payment of all my just debts Funeral and Testamentary Expenses I GIVE AND DEVISE AND BEQUEATH unto Louisa Agnes Jane Hardy the whole of my real and personal estate absolutely AND I HERBY appoint GEORGE GREATBATCH of Nubeena Farmer Executer of this my WILL IN WITNESS Whereof I have hereunto set my hand this the fifth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and twenty four - MARTIN HARDY - Signed by the said Testator and by him declared to be his last Will and Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses - Witness, DOUG FREE - Witness JAS. J.R. DODGE, 5th August 1924. Agnes Louisa Jane Hardy (Challenger) died on 3rd July 1968 in Nubeena, Tasmania. After Martin and Ellen separated, Ellen married Francis Benjamin Smith, a veterinarian surgeon in Ringarooma. Smith is remembered by family members living in the area at the time as being the first owner of a car in the district, and some of Ellen Hardys grandchildren fondly remembered as children riding around in the back seat of Grandpa Smiths car. Ellen Jane Bush (later Hardy, then Smith) died on 9th August 1934 and is buried at the Carr Villa Cemetery at Launceston. | Hardy, Martin (I272216492755)
|
109 | MARTIN JAMES (JIM) HARDY was born in Scottsdale on 7th February 1894 and like his brother Horace travelled to New Zealand, where he enlisted in the army under the name of James Hardy. His service record shows his age on enlistment as 25 years and 7 months, however it is more likely that he enlisted at 20 years and 7 months, as the First World War would have been over by the time he was 24. As the age requirement at the time was 21 years, he more than likely lied about his age in order to enlist. For a short period during 1914, Jim Hardy was detached at Alexandria in Egypt, probably undergoing training there. On 23rd March 1915 he disembarked the ship which transported his detachment to Malta suffering from venereal disease and on 29th May 1915 was admitted to the Forest Hospital in Malta for treatment. 5 months later, on 16th October 1915 he was again admitted to hospital, this time suffering from a hernia and swollen glands. The following month he was back in hospital again suffering from Typhoid and yet again a month later with another hernia. On 6th January 1916 he was listed as dangerously ill and a week later, on 13th Jan 1916 he died of pneumonia on board the British Hospital Ship HS Devanha. James Hardys military record indicates he served some time in the Dardanelles. The Main Body of the Canterbury Infantry Regiment of which James Hardy was a member, reportedly served at Gallipoli, although it is unclear if James Hardy fought there. After his death, James Hardy was awarded a 1914 1915 Service Star, on 17th October 1921 he received a British War Medal and on 28th August 1922 he was awarded a Victory Medal. Martin James Hardy, 6/1081, Canterbury Regiment, N.Z.E.F. is buried in the Pieta Military Cemetery in Malta. | Hardy, Martin James (I272216493781)
|
110 | MARY ANN HARDY was the 2nd eldest of the Hardy children having been born on 6th October 1856. On 16th February 1870, whilst only 13 years old, she married her cousin, Joshua Jeremiah Peck of Paterson's Plains. Joshua Jeremiah Peck, the second eldest son of Thomas Peck, was 32 years old. In July 1885 Joshua Jeremiah Peck petitioned the Supreme Court of Tasmania to divorce Mary Ann on the grounds that, during November 1884, she committed adultery with Edward Swenston, a lodging house keeper from Alberton in North West Tasmania. In his petition Joshua stated that after his marriage he and Mary Ann had resided in Patersonia, and that there was no issue of our said marriage. He also stated that since November 1884 Mary Ann had lived and cohabited with the said Edward Swenston at Swenstons Temperance Hotel at Alberton and calls herself and is treated as the wife of the said Edward Swenston Joshua and Mary Anns divorce was finalised on 13th May 1886. Joshua Jeremiah Peck later married Maria Donaldson in 1888. They had 6 Children together between 1887 and 1898. | Hardy, Mary Ann (I272216492793)
|
111 | MARY ANN PECK was born on 24th July 1796 in New South Wales. In 1816 she married William Cockerill at which time she had already given birth to 2 children, James and Hannah. It is not known if Cockerill was the father or not and she obviously lived with him for only a short time, as she was listed in the 1819 landholders muster as Mary Ann Peck. The 2 children were listed, but there was no father or husband. Mary Ann died in 1831. Her death was registered as Cockerill, but she was buried as Peck. | Peck, Mary Ann (I272216492805)
|
112 | MARY FROST was born on 14th August 1750, the daughter of Richard and Anne Frost of the parish of Runhall in the county of Norfolk. On the 7th October 1788 she appeared before Sir John Fenn in Kent UK, charged with breaking into the dwelling house of John Betts, of Hoe and feloniously stealing 1 linen gown, two linen caps, a small quantity of flour, two pieces of lace and two pieces of ribband. She also broke into a house owned by William Pollington of Great Ellingham and stole and took away wearing apparel (to wit) two cotton gowns, two stuff petticoats, two silk handkerchiefs, one lawn handkerchiefs, one pair cotton stockings, two muslin handkerchiefs, one lawn handkerchief, one silk hood, one cloth cloak, one silk hat, one woollen apron, two check aprons and two white aprons the property of Mary Pollington. She was sentenced to death by hanging but her death sentence was later commuted to 7 years transportation and she arrived at Port Jackson on the ship Neptune, which had set sail on the 19th of January 1790 from Portsmouth as part of the Second Fleet and arrived in 160 days later, on 28th June 1790. The second fleet consisted of six ships – “Guardian”, “Justinian”, “Lady Juliana”, “Surprize”, “Neptune” and “Scarborough”. The “Guardian” struck ice and was unable to complete the voyage. She was stocked with provisions. Only 48 people died in the first fleet's voyage, but during the second fleet's passage 278 died. This time transporting the convicts was in the hands of private contractors. On 30th June 1790 the Sydney Cove Chronicle reported the arrival as follows: "…The landing of those who remained alive despite their misuse upon the recent voyage, could not fail to horrify those who watched. As they came on shore, these wretched people were hardly able to move hand or foot. Such as could not carry themselves upon their legs, crawled upon all fours. Those, who, through their afflictions, were not able to move, were thrown over the side of the ships; as sacks of flour would be thrown, into the small boats. Some expired in the boats; others as they reached the shore. Some fainted and were carried by those who fared better. More had not the opportunity even to leave their ocean prisons for as they came upon the decks, the fresh air only hastened their demise. A sight most outrageous to our eyes were the marks of leg irons upon the convicts, some so deep that one could nigh on see the bones… We learn that several children have been borne to women upon the Lady Juliana, the cause for which were the crews aboard African slave ships which met up with the transport at Santa Cruz… So the Guardian is lost and with it our provisions. What, in the name of Heaven, is to become of us ?... " On 1st August 1790 Mary Frost departed Port Jackson for Norfolk Island on board the Surprize. It was with Mary Frost that Joshua would remain with for several years. It is unclear if they were formally married - no record of the ceremony has survived. It may have taken place, however on Norfolk Island in 1791 when Reverend Richard Johnson visited the island and married a number of couples. They were recognised as "married" on the records of the birth of their first child, William in 1792. Together they had 11 children although there is confusion about this number. In an oath made on behalf of her grandson James in 1844 Mary stated she had 10 children. Joshua's petition to Governor Brisbane in 1823 states he had 12 children, but only 11 names can be found, being: William born 1792 Elizabeth born 1793 John born 1794 Mary Ann born 1796 Jane born 1798 Thomas baptised 1803 Joshua jnr baptised 1803 Jeremiah born 1805 Charles christened 1808 James christened 1808 Sarah born 1808 There is substantial evidence to suggest that Thomas Peck was indeed born in 1805. So was there another earlier Thomas who died after being baptised in 1803? This could account for Joshua’s petition stating he had 12 children. Joshua and Mary left Norfolk Island on the Chesterfield around March or April 1793 and took up a 30 acre grant at Prospect Hill on 20 February 1794. This grant was increased by 50 acres in May 1797. On Wednesday 29th May 1799, whilst travelling from Toongabbie to the Hawkesbury, Mary Frost was assaulted and raped by John Owens, who had on two occasions, threshed corn for Joshua Peck at his farm at Prospect. John Owens was tried for rape on Friday 31st May 1799 but found not guilty. The judge, however, noted that: “...nothing could have saved the Prisoner from being adjudged guilty but the want of that corroborative Testimony which the Law requires to balance to the Character of the Prosecution...” More can be read about Mary Frost in the Hardy family history book "Hardy by Name, Hardy by Nature" | Frost, Mary (I272216492802)
|
113 | Mary Jane Graham was one of 4000 Irish female orphan adolescents who were sent from the workhouses of Ireland to the Australian colonies at the time of the Great Famine. Their emigration was the brainchild of Earl Grey, secretary of state for the colonies, and primarily designed to meet an Australian demand for domestic servants and marriageable young women. Born in Armagh, Mary entered the workhouse on 6th May 1849, leaving on 4th October 1849. She was noted as being able to read and write and was “tolerably well clothed and clean”. Mary arrived in Melbourne on 12th January 1850 on the “Diadem” with 206 other orphans from famine-stricken Ireland, at the tender age of 15. Passenger records for the Diadem show that on arrival in Australia Mary was employed as a nursemaid by a Mr Sweetman of Melbourne on a wage of 8 pounds per annum. Arriving on the Diadem with Mary Graham was Mary Ann McMaster, aged 14, who was employed by a Mrs Sarah Sweetman also of Melbourne on a wage of 6 pounds per annum. Further research has revealed that the Mr and Mrs Sweetman that the two Marys were employed by were the Reverend Mr Edward Sweetman and his wife Sarah. Born on 12 April 1793 in Aynhoe, Northamptonshire, England, Rev Edward Sweetman sailed for Australia in the "Sir Thomas Munro" in 1834 but on the journey was shipwrecked at the Cape de Verde Islands, Atlantic Ocean, and he returned to England in February 1835. Rev Sweetman served at Calais, France; Boulogne, France; and Gibraltar and in 1836 at St. George's, Hanover Square, London, England. He married Sarah Merson whom he had met whilst in France. Edward and Sarah arrived at Sydney, New South Wales on 24 February 1840 on the "Union" from London, England, and in 1845 sailed for Melbourne on the "Martha and Elizabeth" arriving on 25 August. Rev Sweetman Succeeded Rev. William Schofield at the Wesleyan Chapel, corner of Collins and Queen Streets, Melbourne. He helped establish chapels at Little Brighton (1846); Geelong (1846); and Fitzroy (1849). In March 1850 Rev Sweetman with his wife, 4 daughters and 2 servants sailed for Van Diemen’s Land on the "Shamrock", to succeed the Rev. William Butters at Launceston. He returned to Brighton, Victoria in 1853, retiring in 1854 for health reasons and returning to England. He retired from the ministry at the 1855 British Conference, and died on 4 November 1856 at Sampford Peverell, Devon, England being buried in the Parish Churchyard at Sampford Peverell, Devon. Mary Graham and Mary McMaster obviously became good friends during their employment by the Sweetman family. Mary McMaster was a witness at Mary Jane’s marriage to Edward Porter in 1852. During Mary and Edward’s 20 years of marriage they produced eleven children – six sons and five daughters. Mary died during the birth of their eleventh child Flora on 8th August 1872, which probably explains why the informant on Flora’s birth certificate was recorded as John Porter - Brother, residence – “Maitland”, if Edward had been otherwise occupied making arrangements for Mary’s funeral or had been too grief stricken. Edward lived his final years around the Apsley area in southern Tasmania. On 17th October 1905, at a property known as Oakwood which was owned by his son John, Edward Porter died the age of 91 years. | Graham, Mary Jane (I272216493692)
|
114 | MARY MACKENZIE was born at Sydney 23rd August 1813, the child of a convict woman from Liverpool, Ann Clarke, and a soldier, Alexander Mackenzie Six months after Mary's father Alexander died on 9th December 1819, Mary's mother, Ann Clark married Thomas Brennan, an Irishman who had been a convict on Norfolk Island. He had been transported for 7 years on the "Marquis Cornwallis", after being tried in the Irish county of Kildare in 1795. Mary spent the next ten years growing up in a mixed household which included eventually three Brennan children, Thomas, Elizabeth and Ann, as well as the four Ann brought with her from the Mackenzie household, John (who appears to be known later as Mackenzie), Mary herself, William (Wells, later known as Brennan) and Margaret (Wells/Brennan). Mary inherited her father's land and is listed in early records of the Launceston District (for the land county of Cornwall) as a non-resident landholder with 30 or so cattle and some crops on 80 acres at Patterson Plains, while living with her mother and the Brennan family. The Brennans were living at Paterson's Plains in 1821 and by 1825 they had moved a few miles to "The Springs" at Breadalbane. It was at "The Springs" that they were living in 1825 when a daughter Elizabeth (born 1823) was baptized, and they were still there in 1829, although by 1835 they were again at White Hills where their youngest daughter Ann who had been born in 1829 was baptized, but it is possible that at that time White Hills was thought of as including what we now know as Breadalbane. Mary retained her entitlement to her father's land during this period and some arrangement must have been made for it to be worked because she is reported to have had 40 acres of wheat and 35 cattle on it in 1822. She would have gone to school then too, at least some of the time. It was probably much interrupted schooling, due partly to lack of teachers in the early 1820s. We know that, unlike her mother, she could write her name, because there are documents in existence which she signed, and she could write sentences at a level of a child with a few years of schooling. Mary McKenzie lived at "The Springs" at the time of her first marriage, at the age of sixteen, to Jeremiah Peck, on 2 November 1829. Their marriage took place at the St Johns Anglican Church in Launceston, the ceremony being performed by Reverend W.H. Browne. St Johns Church, one of the finest in Launceston, was built between 1824 and 1830 by many of the convicts stationed in Launceston (or as it was then known Port Dalrymple) during the early years of settlement. Today the only remaining construction from the original church is the heritage listed convict clock tower. The daughter of Mary and Jeremiah, Mary Ann, was born on 3rd June 1833. Although it was four years after their marriage, she was their only child. Just a few months after Mary Ann was born, Jeremiah died on 27th November 1833, aged 28 years. His cause of death is unknown. Mary was not a widow for very long, however. She married Thomas Beswick the following May when she was still only 20 years old. THOMAS BESWICK was 15 years old when he was tried at the Old Bailey on 16 January 1823 charged with "burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling house of Thomas Walker, about the hour of six, in the night of the 24th of December, at St. Mary-le-bone, with intent to steal, and stealing therein one watch-case, value 5s., and one watch hook, value 2d., his property". He was sentenced to death, but was later reprieved, and, after a period of some months imprisonment on a hulk in the river, he was transported for life to Van Diemen's Land. He arrived on the "Sir Godfrey Webster" on 27th December 1823. During the twenty years after their marriage until the mid 1850s, Mary and Thomas appear to have lived a normal and secure family life, and between them had seven children, Margaret, Thomas, Jane, Luisa, Sarah, Charlotte and Samuel, and, of course, Marys daughter from her marriage to Jeremiah Peck, Mary Ann. After his pardon Thomas himself sometimes employed convicts. They appear to have farmed successfully, but not to have accumulated much surplus cash. Some of their property on the South Esk and in Launceston was mortgaged on more than one occasion for relatively small amounts. There would have been times of anxiety and sadness though, as two of their children died, the first Margaret at the age of four, the same year Mary's mother died. Thomas could also have received news of the death of his father around this time. Louisa died of scarlet fever when she seven (death register: 9th September 1853, Farmers daughter, Paterson's Plains). The registration of Louisa's death notes that there was an epidemic at that time. A major change can be dated from the end of 1854. It was about the time when their youngest child was born, but that appears to be co-incidental. A land trust deed that was registered 1st September 1854 transferred ownership of the farm at Paterson's Plains to Samuel Beswick of "Bernard Street, Russell Square, in the county of Middlesex in England, tailor", and "William Hill of the District of Morven, farmer", as trustees, for the benefit of Thomas and Mary and their children. The trustees or others appointed by Thomas Beswick had right of succession to the use of the property after the death of Thomas and Mary in such a way that their children and the heirs of Thomas would have full rights to benefit from it, but Mary's daughter from her first marriage, Mary Ann Peck, could only benefit during her life time and as Thomas allowed in any deed or in his will. Thomas could direct how the benefits would be shared but not in any way that allowed Mary Ann Peck to gain a share that might be inherited. This meant that Thomas now had effective control of the land that his wife had inherited from her father, Alexander Mackenzie. The point of it all becomes clearer when it is realized that Mary Ann Peck was about to be married. She married Martin Hardy on 28th October 1854. Apparently it was feared that her husband and children would obtain rights in the land if alternative arrangements were not made. It might, given what happened several years later at Scottsdale, indicate a particular concern with Martin Hardy, but it also marked the beginning in a phase of change away from their settled life in the area where Mary had grown up and Thomas had made the transition from convict to a free and successful citizen. Thomas Beswick died in the Port Sorrell district around 16th January 1877. On 29th July 1878, Mary McKenzie (later Peck, then Beswick) 65, house keeper, married Richard Fuller, 66, dealer, at St. Paul's Launceston. In later years she is remembered as living at Scottsdale with her eldest daughter Mary Ann Hardy, and she was with her youngest daughter, Charlotte, when she died on 4th June 1886. She is buried at the Ellesmere cemetery at Scottsdale. The daughter of Mary and Jeremiah, Mary Ann, was born on 3rd June 1833. Although it was four years after their marriage, she was their only child. Just a few months after Mary Ann was born, Jeremiah died on 27th November 1833, aged 28 years. His cause of death is unknown. Mary was not a widow for very long, however. She married Thomas Beswick the following May when she was still only 20 years old. THOMAS BESWICK was 15 years old when he was tried at the Old Bailey on 16 January 1823 charged with "burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling house of Thomas Walker, about the hour of six, in the night of the 24th of December, at St. Mary-le-bone, with intent to steal, and stealing therein one watch-case, value 5s., and one watch hook, value 2d., his property". He was sentenced to death, but was later reprieved, and, after a period of some months imprisonment on a hulk in the river, he was transported for life to Van Diemen's Land. He arrived on the "Sir Godfrey Webster" on 27th December 1823. During the twenty years after their marriage until the mid 1850s, Mary and Thomas appear to have lived a normal and secure family life, and between them had seven children, Margaret, Thomas, Jane, Luisa, Sarah, Charlotte and Samuel, and, of course, Marys daughter from her marriage to Jeremiah Peck, Mary Ann. After his pardon Thomas himself sometimes employed convicts. They appear to have farmed successfully, but not to have accumulated much surplus cash. Some of their property on the South Esk and in Launceston was mortgaged on more than one occasion for relatively small amounts. There would have been times of anxiety and sadness though, as two of their children died, the first Margaret at the age of four, the same year Mary's mother died. Thomas could also have received news of the death of his father around this time. Louisa died of scarlet fever when she seven (death register: 9th September 1853, Farmers daughter, Paterson's Plains). The registration of Louisa's death notes that there was an epidemic at that time. A major change can be dated from the end of 1854. It was about the time when their youngest child was born, but that appears to be co-incidental. A land trust deed that was registered 1st September 1854 transferred ownership of the farm at Paterson's Plains to Samuel Beswick of "Bernard Street, Russell Square, in the county of Middlesex in England, tailor", and "William Hill of the District of Morven, farmer", as trustees, for the benefit of Thomas and Mary and their children. The trustees or others appointed by Thomas Beswick had right of succession to the use of the property after the death of Thomas and Mary in such a way that their children and the heirs of Thomas would have full rights to benefit from it, but Mary's daughter from her first marriage, Mary Ann Peck, could only benefit during her life time and as Thomas allowed in any deed or in his will. Thomas could direct how the benefits would be shared but not in any way that allowed Mary Ann Peck to gain a share that might be inherited. This meant that Thomas now had effective control of the land that his wife had inherited from her father, Alexander Mackenzie. The point of it all becomes clearer when it is realized that Mary Ann Peck was about to be married. She married Martin Hardy on 28th October 1854. Apparently it was feared that her husband and children would obtain rights in the land if alternative arrangements were not made. It might, given what happened several years later at Scottsdale, indicate a particular concern with Martin Hardy, but it also marked the beginning in a phase of change away from their settled life in the area where Mary had grown up and Thomas had made the transition from convict to a free and successful citizen. Thomas Beswick died in the Port Sorrell district around 16th January 1877. On 29th July 1878, Mary McKenzie (later Peck, then Beswick) 65, house keeper, married Richard Fuller, 66, dealer, at St. Paul's Launceston. In later years she is remembered as living at Scottsdale with her eldest daughter Mary Ann Hardy, and she was with her youngest daughter, Charlotte, when she died on 4th June 1886. She is buried at the Ellesmere cemetery at Scottsdale. | Mackenzie, Mary (I272216492800)
|
115 | Memorial Garden Seat, Section M2, Location 22. | Source (S900294100)
|
116 | Michael murphy was a Marine on the First Fleet | Murphy, Michael (I272216493731)
|
117 | Mollie Thora Ann Hopwood was born in Scottsdale, Tasmania, on 3 May 1921. Her birth certificate records her as having been born at "Mrs Keppler's" in Scottsdale. Newspaper articles refer to a Nurse Keppler and her mother (probably Alma Keppler) running a 'private hospital' in their home in Christopher St, Scottsdale, around that time. There are numerous birth notices for children born in their home. Although Molly's mother, Christina, married Donald Milton Hopwood on 6 November 1920, they separated just three weeks later when it became known that the child Christina was carrying (Molly) was not his. The name of Molly's father was not stated on her birth certificate. Christina was just 19 years old when she gave birth. Through later DNA testing we have since concluded that Mollie's biological father was Horace Oliver Hardy, a 30 year old former soldier living in the Scottsdale area at the time. Donald and Christina had nothing to do with each other for the next seven years, and at some point during this period Christina moved to Melbourne. Donald visited Christina in Melbourne in March 1927 and found her living with another man, John Anderson. He filed for divorce in May 1927, and it was granted in September. Amidst all this, it seems Molly was not given a particularly stable upbringing in her younger years. She regularly travelled between Melbourne and Launceston, apparently caught up in a bitter dispute between her parents, and as a child was never really given the opportunity to settle in either location. She saw very little of her half-sister, Norma Hayes, in Melbourne while growing up. As a child Molly continued to live in the Tamar district of northern Tasmania. There is a reference to her being involved in a fair at Deviot School in December 1929 (aged 8 years), and also of a Miss Molly Hopwood participating in a church fair at Deviot in the Tamar district in January 1936 (aged about 14). Molly later changed her name to Yvonne Mollie Thora for reasons unknown. Molly appears to have been living with her mother, Christina, and step-father, Jack Hayes, at Werribee, Victoria, by about 1937 (aged 16 years), and it was here that she met Vincent Charles Monterola, a RAAF airman based at the nearby RAAF Base Laverton. Vincent and Molly married on 12 March 1938 in the living room of a marriage celebrant in Melbourne. At the time of her marriage Molly's name was registered as 'Molly Thora Hopwood'. Molly's first child, Joan Lorraine, was born on 21 July 1938 in Glenhuntley, Victoria. Molly was just 17 at the time. In January 1939, 17-year old Molly and her six-month old daughter Joan moved with Vincent to Richmond, NSW, where Vincent was posted as an Air Observer with 3 Squadron. They lived at 4 Bennett St, Wentworthville, in the western suburbs of Sydney. After Vincent was killed in a RAAF training accident in the Blue Mountains in August 1940, Mollie returned to Melbourne, pregnant with their second child. Vincent Dudley was born at Werribee, Victoria, on 9 April 1941. Molly was 19 years old when Vincent Jnr was born, and was forced by her mother, Christina, to give both Joan and Vincent up for adoption. Joan was adopted by her maternal grandmother, Christina, and Vincent by his paternal grandfather, Francisco Melville Monterola in Adelaide. Molly is listed as "Yvonne Mollie Thora Monterola" in the 1943 Australian Electoral Roll, with an address of 67 Garfield St, Wentworthville. Her occupation is shown as "mutn. solderer" (presumably a munitions solderer). She would have been living back in Victoria by this time, so presumably her electoral roll entry had not been updated. In the 1949 Electoral Roll, she is listed as "Yvonne Mollie Monterola" and her address is shown as 29 Ames Ave (suburb not listed, but in the Victorian state electorate of Oakleigh). Occupation is shown as "finisher". In 1946, Mollie was living at Glenmire Guest House, 469 St Kilda Road, Melbourne. While living here, she made several enquiries with the Air Force on her eligibility to receive a war pension. Mollie later gave birth to Pam and Maxwell, to separate fathers, both of whom were also given up for adoption. By 1949 she had then met and married George William Hopley, and they were living at 35 Royal Parade, Parkville. Molly and George remained in Victoria and had four children, Christopher, Garry, Brendan and Amanda. Molly died at Glen Waverly on 4 January 1987, aged 65 years, and was buried at Springvale Botanic Cemetery (Pescott Lawn, Row CR, Grave 39) in Clayton, Victoria, on 7 January. | Hopwood, Mollie Thora Ann (I272385682029)
|
118 | Mon Roman Catholic C Garden, Location 160 | Source (S900294101)
|
119 | Mon Roman Catholic Garden C, Location 160 | Source (S900294089)
|
120 | Mon Roman Catholic Garden C3, Location 362 | Source (S900294108)
|
121 | MRS. MURIEL STAFFORD was a past President of the Victorian-Tasmanian Christian Women's Fellowship. Prior to her marriage, she was a teacher with the Education Department of Western Australia. and was an executive member of the Women's Inter-Church Council of Victoria. | Jeffery, Muriel Edith (I272216493798)
|
122 | Nerriga | Fellowes, Frances Maria (I272216498060)
|
123 | Norman Loftus Peach is buried in the Hamilton Lawn Cemetery (plot 289]. The death was certified by Dr McFarlane who had treated him for the wrong condition. The date of burial was 11 December 1972. He was aged 64 years. Norman was the local bus operator in Macarthur and drove the school bus route. | Peach, Norman Loftus (I272216494195)
|
124 | At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. | Walker, Geoffrey Leslie (I272216498345)
|
125 | of Pitnacree House | Porter, John F (I272216494158)
|
126 | On 28th November 1842, at the age of 9, some 20 months after his mother's death, John shepherd was admitted to the Queens Orphanage and School in Hobart. Some 8 months late he was discharged to the care of his stepfather, George Clements. | Shepherd, John Ritchie (I272216493693)
|
127 | On birth details for Henry George Lette it is stated that his mother is Ann Lette. I have a feeling that Henry either married twice or he fathered a child with another woman. | Lette, Henry George Stevenson (I272216494285)
|
128 | Peter Lemonde died from rheumatic fever - 8 years old | Lette, Peter Lemonde (I272216494323)
|
129 | Played Cornet in Salvation Army band and possibly with Launceston City Band | Shepherd, Lewis Ritchie (I272216492754)
|
130 | Presbyterian, Section DC, Gravesite 0320 | Source (S900294107)
|
131 | Recovered From Japanese (Prisoner Of War At Changi) 5th Sep. 1945. Embarked For Return To Australia From Singapore Per Hmas "Manunda" | Hillier, Reginald Frederick (I272216492871)
|
132 | Ref No: 1390 | Source (S900294085)
|
133 | Ref No: 2319 | Source (S900294114)
|
134 | Ref No: 4822/1870 | Source (S900294112)
|
135 | Ref No: 523 | Source (S900294084)
|
136 | Ref No: 9104 | Source (S900294110)
|
137 | Reg No. 2357. | Source (S900294111)
|
138 | Reg No. 3442/1867 | Source (S900294113)
|
139 | Reg No. 973. | Source (S900294093)
|
140 | Resided in Geraldton WA. | Gerrard, William (I272216498220)
|
141 | At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. | Jones, Robert Llewellyn (I272216494716)
|
142 | ROSETTA CHARLOTTE ELIZABETH HARDY was born on 28th May 1868 in Scottsdale. She had 2 children, Ruby May, born 20th April 1885 and Pearly Jane, born 24th September 1892 to a Dr Duflot. It is uncertain if they ever married as there is no marriage record and the children were referred to on their birth records as Hardy. Pearly Jane Hardy died on 9th October 1893 at Hampden Rd Hobart, aged 1, from laryngitis and thrush. Her death registration recorded her as a spinsters child. | Hardy, Rosetta Charlotte Elizabeth (I272216492798)
|
143 | Rupert was born 29 May 1991 and died 11 days later - he apparently drowned | Dutton, Rupert Isambard Brunel (I272216494386)
|
144 | Rupert was born at Pleasant Hills 24 February 1941, he was a farmer and in 1869 he and his friend Sydney Gaunt (of the Dr Matthuis Gaunt family who named the district of 'Windemere'] leased 'Windermere farm' which was Dr Gaunt's original property on which they grew wheat. Like his brother Llewellyn, he also married a daughter of Rev. John Dixon and had ten children. | Dutton, Rupert Burton Warlow (I272216492773)
|
145 | Sarah was born in Hobart in 1808. She was with the family in the 1818 - 1819 musters. She married John Lamph in 1825 and with him had three daughters. She married Samuel Barker in 1840. | Peck, Sarah (I272216493324)
|
146 | Section General AA, Path C, Site 250 | Source (S900294092)
|
147 | See notes for Martin Hardy | Peck, Mary Ann (I272216492791)
|
148 | See notes on Martin Hardy | Bush, Ellen Jane (I272216492756)
|
149 | Served with the 16th Battalion in WW1. | Birch, Harold Ernest (I272216498236)
|
150 | At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. | Medway, Shane David (I272216496258)
|